Judy Bolton Days

Judy Bolton Days
First annual in 1991!

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

NEWLY FOUND RICK BRANT BOOK

 All Current chapters now available on this alternate site:



(To get all the chapters currently available on this blog, click on Golden Dragon under 'Labels' on the side panel)

Wow, get set for a new fan-written Rick Brant I found included in a series book collection I recently bought from New Brunswick, Canada. It appears to be a really terrific story, hand-written in old collegiate tablets and it takes place in, of all places, a couple islands off the coast of Papua New Guinea the summer after The Phantom Shark.

And how about this title?
THE QUEST OF THE GOLDEN DRAGON
or The South Seas City of Death Mystery


Hearkens back to the old-fashioned Tom Swift double-titling, and there were plenty of Swifts and similar in this collection. Also included are some original short stories and other writings about some of our fave characters. Always great to find fan-written stuff. Fun to read and lots of it is good.

3 comments:

  1. Hi everybody! I had a rough time this summer with my recovery from cancer and recent heart surgery. The heat wave was so intense that it seemed I got worse instead of better and staying in the air-conditioned house wasn't too good either because it made me too cold! LOL! Either one thing or the other, eh?

    I didn't make much progress on the Rick Brant book, but I'm feeling better now that the weather has cooled down and hope to get back at it. I have chapter 8 almost completed and hope to have it on the blog this weekend.

    The book is complete and I'm editing and rewriting as needed. It was written by a teenager, so it needs some attention. I've learned some interesting things going through the manuscript and notes.

    The book was the writer's entry into a contest he joined in with four other series books fans. Each took different series characters. Two of the others were Tom Swift Jr. and the Hardy Boys.

    Their stories had to be based on an adult mystery novel they had all read, a little bit or a lot, depending on what the individual writer wanted. They were just boys learning to write so they used the adult novel as a guide.

    I have not learned the name of the adult novel. It'd be great to know and to get a copy and read it, and learn how much of the story this particular writer followed. If anyone should recognize the story, please let me know. It would be a book that was popular in the 1940s or 1950s.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everybody!

    I'll be getting chapter 9 on in a couple days and there are some really interesting developments in the story. The boys land in Rabaul and get a really great clue to the whereabouts of Mr. Brant and Dr. Warren. And from there on comes another ongoing rush of action that gets pretty breathless - you'll like it and all the tie-ins with World War 2. My dad was in New Guinea during the war, so this is real special for me to work on this!

    The title of Chapter 9 is THE MADMAN OF COASTWATCHERS HILL!

    Best wishes, Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoops, here I am again. I have put all the chapters on an alternate site that contains them in easier-to-read book form. I'll leave new chapters on the blog for a while, but they'll also be put on the new alternate site.

    Check any of the chapters for a direct link to the new site.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete